Importance of Yoga and Breathing Exercise to Weight Loss and how significant Pranayama is to gain Weight Loss goals.
Breathing is a vital activity for life. Without breath, there is no life, and any disruptions in the breathing activity affect the quality of life. It is the flow of oxygen to various body parts and mind that ensures the proper functioning of the body and its organs. However, in spite of the significance of breathing in leading a quality life, most people tend to ignore its importance. Hence, yoga has made its efforts to educate the people on the importance of breath and breathing activity and train them for the same. As the body functions improve, yoga breathing for weight loss comes in as another significant benefit.
Yoga and Breathing Exercises
Yoga is known for its scientific breath control technique called “Pranayama.” Pranayama is derived from the Sanskrit word ″Prana″ which means life force or breath and ″Yama″ which means control or restriction. Continuous practice helps you master ″Prana″ and gain control over your mind and senses. It is all about mastering the breathing techniques and taking control of the life force.
Breathing helps in inhaling the oxygen and exhaling carbon dioxide. However, due to the fast-moving life, even the breathing procedure speeds up. Due to rapid breathing, the body is deprived of adequate amount of oxygen. This deprivation of oxygen leads to several health disorders. The most common of these are sleep disorders, fatigue, and heart disease. Pranayama is an excellent and only solution to this. It helps in achieving a perfect balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the body. Once this balance is completed, you automatically get rid of the health disorders related to this imbalance.
Pranayama and its benefits to weight loss
Pranayama ensures the smooth functioning of all the body organs. When all the body functions are proper, your body, mind, and soul are at peace. Overall, you as a person are completely relaxed and at peace. With the appropriate functioning of various organs, a weight loss comes into effect. We will have a look at the same:
- Proper and slow breathing ensures oxygen supply to all the body parts.
- The improved digestive system boosts the body’s metabolism. The enhanced metabolism then accelerates the weight loss process.
- The improved metabolism also stimulates the sluggish or inactive glands, thus increasing the hormonal output.
- It also stimulates fat mobility, thereby making the fat burning process easy.
- It helps in cleansing the body of the toxins and other wastes, which further reduces the body weight.
- Controlled breathing enhances self-control and helps you with stress management, which is the primary cause of obesity.
- It increases your concentration and mental strength, which is the right way of increasing your will power. Improved will power helps in your efforts to weight loss.
- A deep breath helps in the process of oxidation and burns the fat cells.
- In simple words, pranayama develops a positive attitude and helps in weight loss.
- There are specific deep breathing exercises, especially for weight loss which are useful in the short run. In the long term, they might disharmonize the body and its functions.
Yoga breathing and different types of Pranayams
Yoga breathing for weight loss comprises of different kinds of pranayama to help you gain control over your body’s overall health.
- Diaphragmatic Breathing: It is known to reduce stress drastically, the critical factor in weight gain. It creates greater mindfulness and keeps you away from overeating and also controls your food cravings.
- Ujjayi Pranayam: It is most common in any of the yoga classes. It is known to soothe the nervous system and also promote calmness and peace of mind. It gathers all your attention to the body and keeps you away from external cravings.
- Vyana Breathing: It is the right way of reviving your circulatory and musculoskeletal system. It also increases energy levels and improves the coordination of those engaged in weight loss efforts through physical activities. It works on energizing the whole body right from your heart and lungs to the limbs and feet.
- Bhastrika Breathing: It works on your belly and thereby enhances the functioning of the digestive system. It also increases metabolism and helps in reducing weight. A proper functioning of the digestive system further aid inadequate food processing which allows the body to get its maximum required nutrition from the food.
These are some of the breathing exercises followed in yoga. The yoga breathing for weight loss does not aim at just weight loss. Instead, it works towards the repair and proper functioning of all the body organs, which later aid in losing weight. It aims at improving your concentration levels by increasing your awareness of the breathing patterns. This improved concentration helps you relax and relieves you from stress. In a way, it helps you learn the techniques of stress management. It helps you combat stress which is a critical factor in weight gain. Thus, the breathing exercises do not just target weight loss. Instead, it affects weight loss by targeting the causes of weight gain.